Early 20th Century Boardwalk - Beaufort, North Carolina

Davis-Mace House circa 1832 and the Mace Family

In 1832, Henry Marchant Cooke and Samuel Leffers Dill deeded to Dill "with privileges and appurtenances." John Philpot Currin Davis gained deed to the house in 1845. In 1852, John willed to wife Charity Bell; legal heirs were the Davis daughters. After widow Elizabeth B. Davis (Lindsay) died in 1930, William Arendell Mace, wife Maybelle Carrow and children moved into the house. Both families have deep roots in early coastal North Carolina and Beaufort history.

Born about 1700, Francis Mace moved south from Nansemond County, Virginia, and married Anne Newby (1708-1752) at the Symons Creek Monthly Meeting in Pasquotank County, NC. Francis was probably a son of Elizabeth Mace, from the Chuckatuck Monthly Meeting in the southern part of Nansemond County, who was widowed by 1702.  This Quaker group was experiencing a surge of members, arriving from Cumberland County, England as recounted by missionaries in 1698. Francis and Anne Mace had six children, born between 1729 and 1748. Francis died about a year after his last child Francis was born. The elder Francis' will was proven 1 Aug 1749 at "Eden House" on Salmon Creek, Edenton. 

Francis' son, John Mace (1733-aft.1801) became the link to the Beaufort line of the Borden family. About the time John was born, Quaker William Borden moved his family from Rhode Island and settled just north of Beaufort, on the west side of Harlowe Creek where he built a shipyard and sawmill. The first Core Sound monthly meetings were organized at his home in October 1733; a permanent meeting house was constructed by 1737. John Mace, of Symons Creek Meeting, probably met Hannah Borden at Core Sound Meeting, about 150 miles from his home. Married in 1757, Hannah and John eventually settled in Carteret County and became parents of Alice, Anna, Francis, James and William Mace. 

In 1792, John and Hannah's son Francis Mace married Feriba Ann Harris at the Core Sound Meeting House; they became parents of at least Benjamin, David, Francis Borden, Henry and Mary Mace.

In 1839, Francis Borden Mace purchased the Hammock House (owned from 1839 until 1843), along with forty-two acres, for $350 from brother Benjamin, who had purchased for $500 earlier that year. The brothers operated a stagecoach line between Beaufort and New Bern. In 1847, F.B. Mace gave as security for a $750 note at the New Bern branch of the Bank of North Carolina: ten stages, one barouche (horse-drawn carriage), eight horses, three sets of harness "that now belongs and are used in the stage line between Beaufort and New Bern." In 1848, F.B. Mace married Jane Ward, born about 1813 to Solomon Ward and Sarah Hall; Jane's Great-Grandfather Major Enoch Ward (1690-1749) married Mary Shackelford, was involved in the purchase of the "Sea Banks" in 1713 and led the 1747 militia against the Spanish intrusions. Mary's father John Shackelford settled on North River about four years before Beaufort was established. Jane and Francis Borden Mace became parents of Francis Borden Mace, born about 1849.

In 1874, Dr. Francis Borden Mace married Lillian Closs Davis, born in 1856 to John Philpot Currin Davis (1815-1864) and Charity Elizabeth Bell. Francis and Lillian lived in a long-gone cottage in the 500 block of Front Street. Lillian's ancestors trace to William Davis, who built the 1728 Beaufort Courthouse, and wife Mary Wicker, who inherited Davis Island from her father Joseph. Among Lillian's other ancestors were Bell, Fisher, Paquinet, Shackelford, Ward and Chadwick families, including 3rd Great-Grandfather Samuel Chadwick, 1726 recipient of Carteret County's first whaling license.

Francis Borden Mace and Lillian Davis became parents of William Arendell Mace (1875-1933), Laura E. Mace (1877-1964) and Charity J. Mace, born about 1879. Laura married Eric Alonzo Abernethy in 1898.

William Arendell Mace Sr. attended UNC and the Medical College of Virginia; he left medical school before graduation and opened a drug store in Beaufort. He was postmaster from August 1901 until June 1913. On October 9, 1913, William married Maybelle Kaiser Carrow (1891-1974), daughter of Nathan Lafayette Carrow (1846-1927) and his second wife, Mary Elizabeth Cramer (1857-1936). Nathan was the son of minister Sylvester Carrow. Mary Elizabeth Cramer was the only child of Dr. William Cramer and Mary Elizabeth Champlin, both born in Rhinebeck, Duchess County, New York. William Cramer, the fourth of six children, was born to Jacob Wendel Cramer (1782-1826) and Clarissa Kip (1792-1859), married January 13, 1812, in Rhinebeck, New York.

Maybelle and William Arendell Mace became parents of William Arendell Mace Jr. (1914-1967), Laura Abernethy Mace (1916-1997), Francis Borden Mace (1920-2014 ) and Mary Elizabeth Carrow Mace (1925- ). The family rented the Allen Davis House (120 Queen), then 313 Ann Street, before moving to 619 Ann Street.